Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Skate Monkeys

Holy Krakatoa! Me & the Boys discovered Thrasher Park in San Leandro yesterday! It rocks! My kids are doing "ollie's", "grinding", & jumping with the big boys at the skateboard park! Littlest Dude, Kip, is seriously gifted in the skate department. No fear. Finally, something sports oriented that he has the upper hand in with his older brother. We've easilly spent 8 hours there in the past 2 days! So much fun.

The skateboard culture is primarily male. And I have to say, it's the most physical, nurturing, supportive masculine sports environment I've ever witnessed. These guys really know how to show compassion to each other! And the big guys (17-23) watch out & support the little guys (8-12). I was fascinated. No fights, no hard feelings. Just sharing of space & techniques, respectful body language and tutoring, with a strong comraderie of what it is to be male. Every color, shape, size, skill level, & social class became moot. Truly diverse.

I will be faithfully supporting my kids to hang out at skate parks.(And so will I, with them...those older skate monkeys are really easy on the eyes!!!!)

No comments: